Ken's Project Blog

January 15, 2011

Feeding the Hungry? Get a Permit!

Filed under: In The News — Ken @ 9:59 pm

Over in Houston, TX, Mr. & Mrs. Herring have been feeding the homeless for over a year, but two weeks ago they had to stop, because they didn’t have the proper permits. It seems that in order to hand out food to the public, either for free or for sale, there are regulations that require various permits concerning the preparation and distribution of food. From the article:

Anyone serving food for public consumption, whether for the homeless or for sale, must have a permit, said Kathy Barton, a spokeswoman for the Health and Human Services Department. To get that permit, the food must be prepared in a certified kitchen with a certified food manager.

The regulations are all the more essential in the case of the homeless, Barton said, because “poor people are the most vulnerable to foodborne illness and also are the least likely to have access to health care.”

There was discussion of creating a less-restrictive permit for just this kind of charity work, but the conversations ended without any changes being made. For now, the 60-120 homeless people who were served each day will have to find somewhere else to eat…

Mr. Herring is a Christian Rapper with the stage name Tre9 – here’s his MySpace page.
Source: Houston Chronicle


Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at

%d bloggers like this: